Great Saves Goaltending is owned and operated by Chris Carter.
Chris has been coaching goaltenders of all ages and skill levels since 2007. With almost a decade of coaching experience, Chris brings a wealth of knowledge and commitment to Great Saves Goaltending. Chris is a proud father of three children and lives with his wife and children in Mt. Pearl, Newfoundland, Canada.
Here are some highlights of Chris’ experience coaching goaltenders:
- Goaltending coach and evaluator for the Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador High Performance Program (HPP)
- Goaltending Technical Director for Mount Pearl Minor Hockey
- Goaltending Coach of the CBR Renegades & Avalon Capitals (St. John’s Junior Hockey League)
- Goaltending Coach of the TriPen Osprey (Newfoundland Major Midget AAA League)
- Goaltending Coach Don Johnson Hockey League (DJHL)
- Goaltending Coach Pee Wee ‘A’ Mount Pearl Blades
- Head Coach & Goaltending Coach in the Doug Marshall Hockey League (Minor Midget). As a head coach for four seasons in this league, Chris won two championships and finished second place in his other two seasons
Chris has been mentoring for several years under the tutelage of Mitch Korn, who is the current goaltending coach for the Washington Capitals of the NHL. A 25 year veteran of the NHL (and having coached some of the best goalies in the world such as Dominic Hasek, , Grant Fuhr, Pekka Rinne, Tomas Vokun, Mark Dekanich and currently Philipp Grubauer and Braden Holtby), Mitch Korn is widely considered to be THE PREMIER goaltending coach in the world. Chris has developed a professional and personal relationship with Mitch Korn and has grown as a coach and a person under his tutelage. Chris is mentioned by name on Korn’s website main page (www.mitchkorn.com).
The largest benefit of this relationship and learning has been the development of the programs offered by Great Saves Goaltending. Through his relationships in the goaltending community and also through his own effort and thoughts, Great Saves Goaltending offers the most innovative, current and proven goaltending programs possible. Great Saves utilizes the most modern methods available in order to help our goaltenders achieve their highest potential.
Chris obviously aims to teach the very intricate and complicated position of goaltending but equally as important are the life lessons that Chris and the rest of the Great Saves staff try to impart on our students. At the end of the day, we try and develop better goaltenders and better people. The coaching methods used by Great Saves staff are designed intentionally to help goalies deal with the physical, mental and emotional aspects of being a goalie and to help students use these tools in the world outside of hockey.
Chris’ Current Coaching Commitments (2015-16 Hockey Season):
- Goaltending Coach for the Avalon Capitals of the St. John’s Junior Hockey League
- Goaltending Coach for the TriPen Osprey of the Newfoundland Major Midget Hockey League
- Assistant / Goaltending Coach for the Mount Pearl Minor Hockey Atom “Lions” House League Team